The Gomel state medical university which was formerly known as Gomel State Medical Institute is public teaching university based in Gomel, Belarus. Gomel has four universities of different fields and one of them is Gomel state medical university. Today, Gomel State Medical University contains. The main campus of Gomel State Medical University located in the downtown of Gomel with 18 adjacent clinical sites spread across the city. The clinical base of the University is one of the best in Belarus, where the advanced medical technologies on diagnostic and treatment of endocrinology, cardiologic, immunology, hematology, ophthalmologic, oncologic and other diseases are applied.
The faculty includes 276 members with more than third holding MD/PhD degree. For the years of its existence, the University has prepared about 1500 doctors in 54 medical specialities. The graduates of the University work in clinics of different cities in Belarus and other parts of Europe.
Gomel cooperates with educational and research medical centers on problems of medical staff preparation, medical research, organization of medical aid with leading universities of Russia, Ukraine, Sweden, Scotland, France, Germany, Poland, Japan etc.
Gomel State Medical University offers a traditional European style curriculum. The teaching process includes lectures, seminars, laboratory and practical studies. A student rating is performed by computer tests and examinations. During the clinical course the students can participate in the whole range of diagnostic and treatment procedures at the teaching hospitals. They take part in teaching rounds, examination of patients, clinical demonstrations, taking case history, case conferences, etc. The program of education in Gomel Medical University meets requirements of international standards.
Today, Gomel State Medical University has:
- 600 highly-qualified professors and assistant professors;
- 34 departments, 5 profile research laboratories and a central research laboratory;
- 18 large clinics equipped in modern way;
- the clinical base of the University is the best in Belarus, advanced medical technologies on diagnostic and treatment of endocrinology, cardiologic, immunologic, hematology, ophthalmologic, oncology and other diseases are applied;
- More than 5000 (including more than 1300 overseas) students taught at 5 faculties of the University;
- The library with rich volume of books and access to Internet, three reading halls enabling adequate preparation for the educational process;
- modem hostels with comfortable flats, lounges and physical training room, sports base;
- Computer classes with access to Internet. For the years of its existence, the University has prepared more than 2000 doctors. We have foreign students from Poland, Turkey, Russia, China, Vietnam, Lebanon, Iran, South America, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Newly Independent States and Western Europe.
TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING;
- Gomel State Medical University unites about 1300 students from more than 138 countries of the world.
- Gomel State Medical University prepares general practitioners and its graduates are conferred the profession of a Physician and the degree of a Doctor of Medicine. Post-graduation study, clinical residence and training in various spheres of medicine are also available for the overseas students.
- The period of study in the University is 6 years. The first three years the students study fundamental subjects such as human anatomy, histology, biology, chemistry, physics, Latin languages, philosophy. Each subject is evaluated at winter and summer exams. Starting from the 4th year the students take their courses on the clinical premises of the University – in hospitals, out-patient clinics, in the Republican Research Centre of Radiation Medicine and Human Ecology, and other medical facilities of the city. Students get deep knowledge of internal and surgical diseases, obstetrics and gynecology, medical aids, prophylaxis, treatment of heart vascular system, traumas, infectious diseases, oncology, neurology, pediatrics, drug addiction and psychosomatic diseases, internal diseases and many others. At the end of the 4th, 5th and 6th years of study students have nursery, out-patient and doctoral trainings respectively and have 1 or 1.5 months holiday. Upon graduation from the university the students pass final state exams and are issued diplomas. Students of the faculty are provided with all facilities to receive deep knowledge and professional skills. Subjects are taught by the experienced teachers in both Russian and English languages.
- Students who engage themselves into research are welcomed to continue their education at the clinical residence and post-graduation level.
- Gomel State Medical University has comfortable student’s hostels with well organized services: laundry, kitchen, cafeteria, and student cafe, post office, Internet, spots club near the students’ hotel and so on.
Contact us for more information.